Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hidden Music Gems #1


I want to run a few different lists of essential or at least interesting music finds. I encourage you to fire off your ideas as well. CKCU is full of people who love music, are obsessed by it and live for it. Over the many years I have been so lucky to chat music with many of our hosts. My first hidden gem comes from one of those conversations. This one with CKCU's Chair of the Board of Directors and host of the Sunday Night Mind Melt, Bijon Roy. He told me about the first solo record by David Crosby. I admit I was skeptical about the disc, although I like Crosby on harmony vocals, I didn't think he had the songwriting chops or leadership skills to pull off a solo disc. When I looked at the LP and saw it was full of guest stars including: Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Jorma Kaukonen, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Grace Slick and Neil Young, I thought my fears would be confirmed. But when I found the copy here at the station and put it on, I was blown away.

It is a shambolic mini masterpiece. Off the rails, in the ditches and basking in a sunset of warmth. It chugs and puffs through one sweeping soundscape to another. Crosby's vocals are somewhat hidden in a subterfuge of haze and somehow it works. Looking to escape the early winter blues? here is a cheap passage that doesn't require a passport.

Thanks Bijon

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name


No comments:

Post a Comment