Ron Steeds is our Sponsorship and Fundraising Coordinator. He is also one of the members of the This Island Earth collective of hosts. This Island Earth is on Sundays from 1 - 4 PM. He is a member of the improvised music collective.
This is the list of World Music artists who, when they release a new recording or re-release a recording that’s been out of print, draw my immediate attention. They never disappoint me, often surprise me, always thrill me. They span the globe – beginning right here in Ottawa (Mighty Popo and Souljazz Orchestra) and fanning out to Africa (Fela Kuti & Tinariwen), Spain (Radio Tarifa), Greece (Savina Yannatou), India (Ravi Shankar), Persia (Kayhan Kalhor), Argentina (Astor Piazzolla) and Australia (Baka Beyond). All incorporate influences from other cultures. That’s probably why they appeal to me: each of them is unique.
1. Fela Anikulapo Kuti - the originator of Afrobeat music.
2. Tinariwen - the leaders in Desert Blues.
3. Savina Yannatou - one of the most glorious voices on the planet.
4. Ravi Shankar - the master of the raga.
5. Radio Tarifa - this ensemble combines Spanish Flamenco and Northern African music.
6. Mighty Popo - Popo keeps getting better and better with every recording. I feel lucky to get a glimpse into the musical soul of Rwanda through Popo.
7. Souljazz Orchestra - taking Fela Kuti into the 21st century.
8. Kayhan Kalhor - the fearless Persian musical explorer who creates astounding music with anyone whom he plays.
9. Baka Beyond - Martin Craddick & crew melds Celtic, African and Australian musics into a unique hybrid.
10. Steve Tibbetts - this restless musical explorer has collaborated with Choying Drolma (a Tibetan nun), Knut Hamre (a Swedish violin player) as well as creating music inspired by his trips around the world.