Matthew Crosier is the CKCU station manager. He also co-hosts a show with Dave Sarazin every Monday from 11 AM - 12:30 PM called Between Thought & Expression. Here are his favourite albums from the past year.
1. Sun Araw – Ancient Romans (Sun Ark)
From mountain peaks to underwater caves it’s a ride that demands your attention and time and rewards you with an escape of epic proportions
2. Bombino – Agadez (Cumbancha)
I can’t stop listening to this Tuareg guitarist, a Pied Piper for troubled times.
3. Tim Hecker – Ravedeath 1972 (Kranky)
Again Hecker shows there can be life in glitch. He takes the listener on a journey that was recorded in Iceland. Tune in, Turn on and drop the needle (the record needle that is). A great escape awaits.
4. Julianna Barwick – The Magic Place (Asthmatic Kitty)
An atmospheric journey conducted by this sound sculptor. It's an interesting trip down this rabbit hole.
5. Sidi Toure - Sahel Folk (Thrill Jockey)
6. Wooden Shjips – West (Thrill Jockey)
Produced by Phil Manley.
7. Lucinda Williams – Blessed (Lost Highway)
Produced by Don Was. Gritty and raw rock, this is one of the better discs in her catalogue. Cut to the core songwriting performed in her raspy sandpaper voice with a crack band ripping away. Great stuff.
8. Amir ElSaffar – Inana (Pi Recordings)
A blend of the Middle East and American Jazz.
9. Glenn Jones – The Wanting (Thrill Jockey)
Superb acoustic guitar LP.
10. Alban Gerhardt – Casals Encores (Hyperion)
A wonderful tribute to the master of the Cello.
11. Dr. Mustafa Raza – Sounds of the Veena (Arc)
12. Charles Bradley – No Time For Dreaming (Daptone)
13. Ivan Fischer with Bupapest Festival Orchestra – Bartok Bluebeard’s Castle (Channel Classics)
14. Amina Alaoui - Arco Iris (ECM)
15. Cyro Baptista's Banquet of the Spirits - Caym Book of Angels Vol 17 (Tzadik)