Ron Steeds is our Sponsorship and Fundraising Coordinator. He is also one of the members of the This Island Earth collective of hosts. This Island Earth is on Sundays from 1 - 4 PM. He is a member of the improvised music collective. Here are his favourite songs, while not all from 2011, but of the past year nonetheless.
These are songs that have stuck with me, some for more than a decade. I never grow tired of them and constantly find new things to hear when I listen to them. While the whole albums that these tunes come from may not all be among my favourites, these individual tunes are. These tunes are on constant rotation on my MP3 player.
1. “Mumakata” – CODONA (from CODONA I)
2. “Ohureo” – Baka Beyond (from The Meeting Pool)
3. “Slither” – Annoushka Shankar & Karsh Kale (from Breathing Under Water)
4. "Salama” – Malagasy All-Stars (Introducing Vakoka)
5. “Mbube” – Solomon Linda’s Original Evening Birds (from The Secret Museum of Mankind, Vol.4: Ethnic Music Classics, 1925-1948)
6. “Ascending Bird (after a traditional melody)” – Kayhan Kalhor & Brooklyn Rider (from Silent City)
7. “Agbara” – Souljazz Orchestra (from Rising Sun)
8. “Ngire Nte” – Mighty Popo (from Gakondo)
9. “Me To Feggari Perpato / Ivan Ndonka Dumashe” – Savina Yannatou (from Terra Nostra)
10. “Awali” – Pierre Bensusan (from Wu Wei)
Post a Comment